YOU GUYS I have been so MIA this week on here, I’m so sorry! My week has been slammed with projects outside of the blog, and then I got sick, so I chose going to bed early over getting my blog posts up on time. (When I don’t get a lot of sleep when I’m sick, it’s impossible to get better!) Thank you for your understanding! ❤️
We’re back with this week’s Ask Jess! Let’s jump in!
If you could only pick ONE gift to buy for all of your girlfriends, what would it be?
Definitely an ice roller! Super budget-friendly and EVERYONE will love it!! See my review on mine here! That or Yeti mugs–I love them so much. Could be so cute with a cute little DIY hot chocolate packet inside? Or a DIY hot toddy kit!? You could get little bottles of whiskey and mini pots of honey to wrap in cellophane and put inside the mug. (Maybe this would be a good DIY blog post!? Haha!)
Did you ever write a guide about breaking in your shoes over the summer? Would love to know what you did to finally break in those Nisolos!
I did!! I wrote all my tips in my Barcelona + Mallorca packing post! Here they are again:
- Spray leather shoes with shoe stretch which makes leather softer and allows them to form to your feet.
- Wear shoes around the house with socks (and/or blast them with a hair dryer or a steamer if you are in a pinch and don’t have shoe stretch spray!) **This is what worked the best for me!
- For shoes that rub your heels, stick these no-rub heel pads on the backs–they are amazing!
- For blister prevention–Megababe’s Thigh Rescue works great as an anti-rub for shoes!
- The BEST blister bandaids (for prevention and protecting existing blisters) are “blister cushions“– if you’re in Europe, look for the brand “Compeed”–which they have in a lot of pharmacies. They also sell the brand here as well (but I discovered they’re more expensive here!) Amazon makes some great knockoffs though. They work so well and are waterproof and rub-proof! These saved our lives in Paris where we walked so many miles each day and made the mistake of not breaking in shoes enough beforehand!
Any tips on budget-friendly travel?
Yes! For flights, sign up for Scott’s Cheap Flights and download the Hopper app! They’re both awesome. I get Scott’s Cheap Flights email notifications and I use Hopper to set alerts on all the cities I want to travel to and it will ping you when prices drop, and give you advice on whether to buy or wait! Also, Norwegian is really cheap and as long as you know what you’re getting into (read all about it here), I’d recommend it if budget travel is your goal! When you’re planning travel from country to country in Europe, definitely look at their budget airlines (like Vueling, Ryanair, WOW) because it’s often cheaper and faster to fly than it is to take the train.
For lodging, Air BnB’s can often be the best way to go because you’re able to go to the store and pick up some local things at the market to eat for lunch, etc. This can be so fun–packing your own picnic, or shopping local ingredients and taking a stab at cooking a local specialty dish on your own!
Also, I HIGHLY recommend a good travel perks credit card. Credit cards can do sooo much for you if you use them correctly (and pay your balance off every month! That’s it! That’s all you have to do!) Whenever we travel, a huge part of our trip is usually paid for with points, and that’s because we put ALL our spending on credit cards (again, and pay them off EVERY MONTH, ON TIME) so we can max out our points. Some are harder to qualify than others, but a quick google search will allow you to figure out the best one for you!
Loved your “why do bloggers do___” Q + A on Insta stories this week! I was wondering, why is it that bloggers do so many more sponsorships around the holidays? Why is it every blogger’s busiest/stressful season?
A general rule of thumb is that when people are buying, bloggers are busy. It’s just the nature of our jobs! The holidays are every brand’s biggest season, so, therefore, they withhold a lot of their budget year-round in order to be able to spend a lot in Q4! As you guys know, I don’t take on a ton of sponsorships, but even I have a TON of them when the holidays roll around. It’s just the cyclical nature of our jobs. Just because we’re doing a lot though doesn’t mean we don’t believe in the products and love and use them even though the post is sponsored! I hope this helps! 🙂