yellow fabric wallpaper
DIY fabric wallpaper
I feel for those of you who are apartment renters out there- you’re looking for a solution to somehow camouflage your hideous apartment features without losing your safety deposit, right? I was in your shoes once. The day I stumbled upon this faux “wallpaper” trick was the day that changed my life. I know it will change yours too (and your kitchen’s). Who would have thought to use fabric as wallpaper? As it turns out, its great wallpaper for renters!
What you need:
- Fabric (I got my cute yellow”wallpaper” at Joann Fabric- more cute prints here. I think next time I might go for floral wallpaper!)
- Fabric Stiffener or Starch (can buy here, or at your local craft store)
- Measure wall and cut desired fabric according to the surface you’d like to cover. I would recommend keeping the fabric in all one piece if possible, rather than applying it in multiple sections to avoid seeing the seams
- After entire wall is wiped clean, first apply a bottom coat of stiffener to the surface you wish to cover
- Apply fabric immediately after, securing with thumb tacks to hold the fabric up while it dries
- Apply a second coat over the top of the fabric, drenching it with the stiffener
- Let dry, remove thumb tacks
- You’re done!
Time to move? Simply peel off the fabric and go!
Total Cost: About $100 bucks- cheapest backsplash I’ve ever heard of
Total time: About 3 hours (It will take much less time if you have less of an awkward area to cover- our backspash took some finesse)
Next on the kitchen hit list: utensil rack and new cabinet knobs. After this I’m hoping my kitchen will no longer look like the seventies threw up on it, but I guess only time will tell. Stay tuned!